Monday, July 17, 2006

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest


Captain Jack Sparrow has sunk with his Black Pearl. I would consider Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest to be quite a sequel flop. Its predecessor, Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, is a close-to-perfect adventure movie. Given that, the expectations of Pirates 2 are raised. Sadly, it turns out to be a so-so movie.

Many of you Johnny Depp fans would disagree. On a balanced tone, the actings were good. The characters were lovable - although the crew members on the Flying Dutchman looked like barnacles live off their faces. There were a few scenes worth of laughter too. But some part of the movie are targeted to audience who were preschool kids. Even the grown-up sitting next to me seems to be senile for a while - she was laughing madly when Captain Jack Sparrow was running away from a group of cannibals.


The first thirty minutes of the movie is just plain boring. I was so bored by the seemingly never ending, unnecessary conversations between characters that I almost dozed off. Hello? It was supposed to be an action film. I was expecting action scenes at least every ten minutes or so. Towards the ending, the film reaches its climax. Betrayal, friendship, pretence were potrayed well in the characters. I have to praised Bill Nighy for his wonderful performance, playing nemesis Davy Jones a.k.a. the captain with tentacles as his beard.

Although it seems like I dislike Pirates 2, I don't. I am just disappointed with the storyline. It could have been much better. I was expecting more, much more. On the other hand, I am looking forward to Pirates 3 which will be in cinemas probably next year. I am so excited that Captain Barbosa - played by Geoffrey Rush, will return in the third Pirates film. Two reasons to watch Pirates 2. You are a die-hard Johnny Depp fan or you simply love Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. And did I say that Singapore was mentioned twice in the film?

2.5 stars out of 5.

3 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger ellseychell said...

hahahahah okays u got a blog.. mine www.ellseychell.blogspot.com

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Murder Incorporated said...

dude, i am gonna have to go for johnny depp

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i didnt know ur use of english was so fabulous.. wahahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home